Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Potato chip research post #8

One final word of advice about scientific research:  anyone who has taken a college statistics class will tell you that data can be skewed and give inaccurate or flawed results.  That’s why it’s important to look at the details I’ve discussed.  Are the researchers reputable?  Do they declare their financial grants, etc?  Is the study published in a peer-reviewed journal?  Does the study involve a large or small group of people and for how long a time-frame?  All these details add value and credibility to any research study. 

Armed with the information we’ve discussed the last week, consumers (you and I) can look at research studies and judge their value before making changes in our lifestyle.  If I am going to change my lifestyle behaviors based on a research study, I want to have confidence that the information is accurate and the researchers are credible.  Otherwise, I might as well skip the research studies and eat/do what I want. 

Another valuable opinion about research studies will be our doctors/primary care providers/nurse practitioners.  They read and review research studies to know the latest and best recommendations.   

No comments:

Post a Comment