Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Healthy Drink #2 Milk


When I was a kid, I would not drink milk.  Remember we lived on a farm and Dad milked his Jersey milk cow.  When I would see that glass gallon jar (full of milk with thick cream on top) in the refrigerator, I was grossed out.  Eek.  I wouldn’t drink it.   I now recognize that was probably the healthiest milk they could have provided for us, but I’ll pass.  Give me pasteurized, homogenized (maybe full of antibiotics—who knows?) milk straight from the supermarket and I will drink it.  (That’s an emotional, irrational approach to a food item. I guess you now know what I think about milk.) 

Milk and dairy is one of the food groups recognized by the U.S.D.A. as important for health.  Milk and dairy products provide calcium, an important nutrient in our fight against osteoporosis.  How much should we have daily?  It varies by age.  Find your recommended servings at
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups/dairy_amount.aspx  However, note that they recommend we drink low-fat (1%) or fat-free dairy products (less calories). 

No comments:

Post a Comment