Monday, May 2, 2011

Osteoarthritis #4 New study shows higher risk

A research study by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) signed up 3200 people and followed them for almost 20 years.  The researchers found "nearly 1 in 2 people will develop OA in a knee before they reach the age of 85, with the risk approaching 2 in 3 people for people who are overweight or obese.  By comparison, 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer in her lifetime and 1 in 3 men and 2 in 5 women will get diabetes in their lifetimes."  This prediction brings to mind the question:  what can a person do to prevent OA?

Goodman, B., Knee Osteoarthritis--New Study shows Higher Risk, Arthritis Today, http://www.arthritistoday.org/conditions/osteoarthritis/news-and-research/new-knee-study.php

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from Southern California

    My name is Ron and I'm your newest follower.
    I invite you to visit my blog and follow me.

    Take care and have a nice day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ron,

    Thanks for following my blog. Read it in good health. Greetings from rain-drenched Missouri. I checked out your blog and enjoyed it alot. I'm looking forward to following you. I can tell you are going to make me laugh--a very good thing.

    Best wishes, Sharon E Hohler

    ReplyDelete