Friday, December 20, 2013

Dealing with stress at Christmas



How are you dealing with the Christmas season?  I love Christmas but sometimes it gets to be stressful and hectic, taking the fun right out of it.  Recently a conversation with friends caught my attention as the husband said, “I hate Christmas as it is just an opportunities for me to fail and fall short.”  I suspect we all understand that sentiment as we search for perfection—the perfect gifts, the perfect snacks and treats, perfect, perfect.   Do I have a solution for this?  No. 
I am just making an observation that we often put a lot of pressure on ourselves during the holiday season.  So I say to you, be kind to yourself.   Give yourself permission to do what gives meaning to you and your family’s Christmas season.  Leave off some of the nonessentials and try to enjoy this season.  In our case, the nonessentials include decorating for Christmas.  This year with my injured knee, we have decided we do not need Christmas decorations. (This picture is last year's Christmas tree.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment