Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cracking pecans and life lessons

My niece’s parents recently gave us pecans.  What a great gift.  We enjoy having pecans in the freezer ready to add to cookies, candy or cranberry relish.  This past Saturday was a sunny beautiful January day.   I wanted to feel the sun beaming down on me so I sat outside, cracked and picked out pecans. 

A couple lessons from this picture:  We can be warmed by the sun as we are warmed by the gifts we receive (pecans).  The second lesson comes from my parents:  take care of the bountiful food supply so you have enough to eat.  We grew up peeling and canning peaches, picking and freezing strawberries, etc.  They never let food go to waste; they prepped and saved it for a cold winter day.  Two good lessons.

1 comment:

  1. The fondest memories of lessons, things and foods, etc. come from childhood. pdg

    ReplyDelete