Monday, August 29, 2011

CDC recommends 2011 Flu vaccine

I mention this early so everyone can prepare to get their flu shot.  This year’s flu vaccine includes the same three viruses that last year’s shot had.  You say, “Oh, good.  I’m covered and don’t need another flu shot.” Not so fast, the CDC experts are recommending everyone get the flu vaccine again because the flu shot protection isn’t permanent and has declined since last year.

Every year I hear people talk about the flu shot and some do not want to get it.  I don’t understand their objections.  I take a flu shot every year (even before it became mandatory except for health reasons) and believe my flu shot keeps me healthy and protected from the flu.  

The CDC recommends everyone over 6 months of age be vaccinated—and early so our bodies have time to build antibodies to ward off infection.  

If you have had a previous allergic reaction to the flu vaccine or have an allergy to egg products, talk to your doctor.  More information about the flu vaccine at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2011-2012.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment