Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day


As I mentioned before, my sisters and I were raised by hard-working American farmers.  I remember following Pop through the woods and over the hills because he was going to the back pasture to check on cattle.  He would tell me to follow him and stay on the path.  If we encountered a snake, he would meet it first and protect me.  This memory made me feel safe and protected. 
What did Pop teach us? 
He taught us to work hard to provide for our families.  Many years he worked two jobs; his day job and in the evenings and weekends he took care of the farm and the animals.   By example he showed us that you can accomplish more if you work hard. 
He taught us the value of money.  He and Mom lived through the Great Depression and it shaped their attitude toward money.  He said don’t spend everything you earn; save some.
He taught us to be honest; that a person’s word says a lot (good or bad) about one’s character.  
He showed us how to persevere; (some of my cousins claim stubbornness is one of our family traits). 
Thanks Pop for teaching us many things, three of which involved working hard, being honest and persevering.    

No comments:

Post a Comment