Monday, June 27, 2011

Do bugs need drugs?

Do Bugs need drugs?
You know about lady bugs, beetles and bees,
There are other bugs, very much smaller than these
, 
Called bacteria, viruses, microbes and germs,
As microscope viewing so clearly confirms…

Please take a minute to read the rest of this poem presented by medical doctor and microbiologist Dr. Blondel-Hill at this website:  http://www.dobugsneeddrugs.org/public/poem.html
This past week I’ve battled a sore throat/laryngitis/bronchitis and steadily got sicker.  A visit to a nurse practitioner (my doctor’s day off) turned the tide for me; I’m now recovering with medications.
Did I have a virus or a germ (bacteria)?  I don’t know.  The nurse practitioner listened to my lungs and looked at my throat and said I needed antibiotics.

I’ll be honest with you; often I’m not sure when I need antibiotics and when I don’t.  You don’t need antibiotics for a viral infection; you do need antibiotics for germ (bacterial) infection.  It is hard to be objective about myself and sometimes it is hard to know the best treatment.  That’s why I have a good doctor to help make that decision. 

Do you utilize your medical resources when you are sick (and when you are healthy)?  It is a good idea to have a family doctor/internal medicine practitioner who will help you make the right decision when your throat is sore and you question whether you need antibiotics or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment