Saturday, June 25, 2011

Are you a good patient or a patient who needs to do better?


I have news for you:  This week I have been a bad patient.  When I woke up with a sore throat last Saturday morning I was concerned that it would turn into laryngitis and bronchitis.  That seems to be my weak point (and I don’t smoke). 
Anyway, I’ve worked all week but barely made it through the days:  I was so tired. 
Wednesday David said to me, what are you doing to get well?  My mumbled answer, ‘nothing’.  In his diplomatic way, he asked, what would you be telling me if I was the sick one?  Good point.  I was being a bad patient.
Thursday my boss let me leave over lunch hour to see a nurse practitioner (my doctor’s day off).  She listened to my chest and looked in my throat and immediately said, ‘you need antibiotics, Mucinex, and a Proventil treatments.’  Within 24 hours we were seeing progress in my hoarseness and cough so I’m headed in the right direction.
Are you like me—just struggling along, trying to get well?  Do you use the medical resources you have?  Take a lesson from my week's struggle:  choose to be a good patient (not a bad one) and get medical help when you need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment