Sunday, February 26, 2012

What can we do to improve our heart health? Add exercise to our days

Let’s add some physical activity to our days.  I have been taking my exercise clothes in my car every day.  Using the pretty striped bag my niece gave me, I carry exercise clothes and am prepared to stop at the gym.  David has been meeting me there after work; this has been a positive situation and we encourage each other to exercise.  This plan helps me get myself there for some type of exercise several times a week. 
What kind of exercise should we be doing?  Three types of exercise are recommended by the Arthritis Foundation:  range of motion, strengthening and aerobic exercises. 
Range of motions exercises involve gentle stretching and moving joints through their normal range of motion.  Range of motion exercises include yoga and tai chi for arthritis.  Strengthening exercises helps our muscles be strong and support our joints.  Strengthening includes light weights and weight machines.  Aerobic exercise strengthens a person’s heart and lungs.  Some gentle-to-joint aerobic exercises include walking, swimming and bicycling.  Arthritis Foundation, Types of Exercise, http://www.arthritis.org/types-exercise.php
If you have not been active, please talk to your doctor before you begin an exercise program.  After you get your doctor’s approval, start slow and increase gradually so you build your body, not cause pain and injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment