Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Protect yourself from germs this holiday season


The holiday season means parties and social gatherings.  How can you protect yourself from germs?  Here’s four good suggestions to help protect yourself.  

1.  Eat fresh fruits (vitamin C) to help your body’s immune system stay strong.  Last year David began peeling and serving an orange and a grapefruit for us to share every day.  My perception was that we both stayed healthier last winter with fewer colds and viruses.  

2.   Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds, especially after using the bathroom and before you eat.  If you cannot wash your hands, use alcohol based hand sanitizer.   

3.  Stay away from sick people.  If you are the sick person, stay away from others to protect them.  

4.  Cover your cough or sneeze.  When I was a child, I was taught to ‘cover my mouth and nose.’  All too often, I used my hand.  Did I wash my hand afterwards? Probably not.  Now we are taught to use a tissue (and throw it away).  If no tissue is handy, sneeze or cough into your sleeve (elbow or shoulder).  If you use your hand to catch your sneeze/cough, please wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds immediately (or use alcohol based hand sanitizer).  Your family and friends will thank you.  

More information can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/covercough.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment