Tuesday, December 13, 2011

If we are feeling overwhelmed, what can we do to reduce our stress?


I’ve begun following The Positivity Blog written by Henrik Edberg of Sweden.  (Isn’t that an amazing aspect about the internet?  I can benefit from the writing of a man I’ve never met.)  He recently had a great blog post about ‘how to handle the overwhelming in 3 quick, stress-reducing steps.'

Henrik suggested these three steps when you are feeling overwhelmed (and who isn’t on December 13?)

  • Stop yourself and ‘reconnect with the present moment.’  Close your eyes and focus on your breathing for two minutes or spend two minutes to focus on your ‘now’  (Ok, so I’m sitting at my desk typing this post while listening to Christmas music.  Forget about what I’m fixing for supper or what I’ve got to do tomorrow.  Focus on ‘now’for two minutes.)
  • Ask yourself what is your priority?  What should you do first? 
  • Take the answer to question 2, forget the multi-tasking and focus on accomplishing your priority.  As you finish that priority, mark it off your list and move to the next task. 
More details can be found at http://www.positivityblog.com/index.php/2011/03/29/overwhelm/
I have enjoyed Henrik’s The Positivity Blog at http://www.positivityblog.com/  I’m one of over 11,000 people worldwide who ‘like' Henrik’s blog.  Thanks Henrik.   

No comments:

Post a Comment