Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sunshine health benefits

This winter dragged on forever; dreary days, more snow than normal and cold north winds.  People have been looking forward to spring for weeks. 

While it’s still cool in Missouri, we have enjoyed the recent sunny days.  Sunshine.  Even when the temperature is cold, a day with sunshine seems warmer and it energizes us. 
According to a study by researchers at University of Edinburgh, “exposing skin to sunlight may help to reduce blood pressure, cut the risk of heart attack and stroke—and even prolong life.”  This study was small; involved 24 volunteers so more study will probably be done.  But they found that when our skin is exposed to sunlight, a compound called nitric oxide is released when lowers our blood pressure.  Another benefit of sunshine on our skin happens when our bodies produce vitamin D.  The report on this article in Science Daily said, “the findings suggest that exposure to sunlight improves health overall, because the benefits of reducing blood pressure far outweigh the risks of developing skin cancer.  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130507195807.htmI

I know I like the feel of sunshine on my face.  There’s nothing better than sitting on my back patio with the afternoon sun beaming down on my face and I do recognize it’s a relaxing feeling.  Now I know why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment