Thursday, April 26, 2012

In the News--4th case of E. Coli in Boone County


This headline from April 20, 2012 highlights a continuing concern for all of us:  will our food make us ill?  In this case, the Missouri Department of Health staff reporting to the public that 15 people have become ill from E. Coli infection.  At least 7 of the 15 people consumed raw dairy products from the same farm.  The farm milk samples tested have been negative but they have also stopped selling raw milk.  More details can be found at this newspaper website: 
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2012/04/20/fourth-case-e-coli-boone-county/

Now I’m giving my opinion.  I understand there’s a trend for organic (raw) milk (and other products).  It’s not for me; I grew up on a farm and watched cattle.  (Their milk anatomy is lower on the body than other basic bodily functions.)  During those days I would not drink milk and found it distasteful to think about drinking milk.  As an adult, I drink milk and like it.  Give me a glass of pasteurized milk any day.   My hat’s off to Louie Pasteur who in the 1860s recognized that heating liquids will kill germs and make our food safer.  Now you know my opinion.  What’s your opinion about drinking organic (raw) milk? 

Tomorrow we talk about another food safety issue:  reusable grocery bags.  Do you use them?

No comments:

Post a Comment