Wednesday, April 25, 2012

2012 Missouri Writers Guild conference


I attended this year’s Missouri Writers Guild conference and walked away inspired to write.  We had great speakers this year.  Several agents and editors were there and I could have ‘pitched’ a book idea to them but I chose not to pitch.  However, there were several speakers that inspired me and touched my heart with their talks:   Pat Lorenz, inspirational writer, speaker and author of 13 books, inspired me to work at becoming a public speaker.  Christie Craig (just made the New York Times best seller list) reminded me how much I enjoy writing magazine articles for publication.  

I had the privilege of being shepherd for Claire Cook, author of Must Love Dogs, (yes, she wrote the book which became the movie with John Cusack and Diane Lane.)  A shepherd is a friendly face committed to helping the seminar speakers if they need anything.  (Claire didn’t need any help).  I found Claire to be a savvy writer, a wise business woman and a genuinely nice person.  I told her Sunday as we said good-bye, I am now her fan for life.  Claire is finishing her 9th book.  If you haven’t read any books by Claire Cook, you are missing a treat.  Please check out Claire and her books at http://ClaireCook.com.

A huge benefit of attending the conference is visiting with old friends and meeting new.  As always, I enjoyed visiting with writers I’ve met at previous meetings and I made some new friends.  I found this year’s meeting a huge success.  

What inspires you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment