Sunday, November 6, 2011

Add exercise to your winter days

Yesterday I talked about getting exercise during the winter time.  As winter approaches, I find myself wanting warm food such as chili and soups.  I find I want to hibernate like a bear.  After my work day, I want a warm shower and warm clothes (long robe, socks and house shoes) to wear while I watch TV.  (I think it’s the human version of hibernating).  While I recognize this is what I WANT to do, it’s not the best for my health.  I need to add exercise to my winter days. 

When bears go into hibernation, their metabolism slows down and they utilize their body fat to survive  their long winter’s nap.   When compared to a bear, we do not quit eating for the winter months.  We enjoy wonderful meals through the holiday season.  Most people gain weight during the winter holidays and cold days of winter.  Another factor we should consider is that as humans’ age, our metabolism decreases.  Exercise is one way to keep our metabolism revved up so we don’t gain so much weight during the winter months.  More tomorrow.    

No comments:

Post a Comment