Saturday, October 29, 2011

Making an Index


I completed the book page edits.  I have been through the entire book three times.  (Not much TV watching going on.  Just the St Louis Cardinals in the World Series)  

Now I am making an index.  We tend to take an index for granted.  An index is the guide at the back of the book that helps you find a specific topic or person’s name.  For example, after reading my book, you want to know when Penicillin was discovered.  You could leaf through the pages and hope you find it.  More likely you will go to the index and look up Penicillium (the name of the mold that Alexander Fleming discovered in 1928.)  This information can be found in chapter 5 (Looking back through history) on page 68.   

I’m wrapping up the book review process this weekend and will be mailing book proofs and index back to my publisher.  I signed the contract with McFarland & Co., Inc in October 2009 so this two year project is almost finished.  I feel a sense of accomplishment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment