Friday, April 22, 2011

Family

No one gets to choose his family.  We are born into our families, for better or worse.  And yet, family can contribute much to a person’s mental and emotional health.   I was blessed when I was born to Earl & Edna’s family.  My parents gave me a huge gift when they raised us (all three of us) to be honest, loving, and hardworking women.  My two big sisters are the best and time spent together is great fun.  Dorothy was born first, Peggy the middle child and I’m the youngest, the spoiled baby girl.
Recently Peggy and I traveled to Tucson, AZ to visit Dorothy and her husband.  Dorothy’s daughter, Kim & her husband also met us in Tucson.  This trip was special to us because it was Peggy’s first trip to Tucson.  Our prior plans to visit Tucson had been cancelled due to the poor health of Peggy’s husband.  Peggy’s first trip to Tucson (also her first airplane rides) went very well.  Our Friday travel day to Tucson started out stressful at the St Louis airport.  A ‘spring break’ crowd joined us standing in line through security for 6am flights. However, after that, our travel was smooth and easy. 

Will it be our last trip to Tucson?  Not likely; the bonds of love require regular doses of hugs and non-stop talking to catch up.  My family contributes many positive benefits to my mental and emotional health.   Did I mention I got lucky being born into my family?   

No comments:

Post a Comment