Sunday, March 1, 2015

Danger of flying: dehydration

We recently made a vacation trip to Huatulco, Mexico (Western Mexico south of Puerto Vallarta). As we were preparing for our trip, I read an interesting article on Yahoo news about scary health effects of flying.   According to the Yahoo Travel article, a serious result of flying in an airplane is dehydration.  The air inside an airplane can be as low as 10 %.  Our bodies are comfortable at 50%.   This low humidity level can cause all kinds of dehydration side effects:  headache, thirst, reduced urination, constipation.  Dry sinuses, noses and throats can result and make a person more susceptible to infections.  

What can we do to avoid dehydration during flights?  Drink plenty of water.  Begin before the flight and continue to drink water during the flight.  Drinks which contain caffeine such as sodas, coffee, and tea can contribute to dehydration.  Alcohol drinks can contribute to dehydration also. 

After I got home from our trip, I really noticed that my body was dehydrated.  I’ve been drinking extra water, using saline nose spray and artificial tears to add fluids to my head.  I think I am making progress on recovery. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment