Saturday, June 23, 2012

Benefits of Smartphone while traveling


During our recent Alaska vacation, I recognized the benefits of my smartphone.  We discussed how my iPhone with its data plan (email) and texting capabilities helped keep us connected to our loved ones.  When we began traveling in 2000, we did not have cell phones, much less smartphones.  At that time, our only communication was to call one person and have them pass on our messages.  Now we can read and send our emails, text messages and even send pictures to keep in touch with loved ones.
I was amazed at how good the cell reception was in Alaska and Canada.  The only times we were out of touch was during our cross-country travels (out in rural areas of Alaska) and during the cruise days (Inside Passage) while out in the ocean.  I think I heard we could (for a fee) access the on-ship email while out at sea but we didn’t do that. 
We recognized how rapidly our communication world has changed over the last decade.  Now we all wear cell phones and use them to keep connected to home and loved ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment