Sunday, February 16, 2014

In the news--Energy drinks may affect our hearts

One evening last week, I drank my favorite soda.  When I was still wide awake at 2am, I was kicking myself.  I usually go caffeine free during my evenings and do not experience that frustrating sleepless night.  Lesson learned—again.  I recently saw an interesting article about energy drinks. 

German researchers are speculating that energy drinks with caffeine, sugar and taurine, an amino acid believed to enhance athletic performance. may affect our hearts.  These researchers took 18 healthy individuals and tested their heart function by getting MRI imaging.  An hour after the test subjects had drank an energy drink, their heart rate was up 6%.  As a comparison, the researchers had the same 18 test subjects drink a caffeinated drink (not the sugar and taurine) and their heart rates did not increase. This article can be found at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131202082640.htm
Now what does that mean to me (and you)?  For healthy people with no heart disease, this study may not mean anything.  It’s interesting to know that energy drinks may cause rapid heart rates.  Some people (like my husband) seem to be sensitive to caffeine.  A few years ago, Hubby noticed he was having rapid heartbeats and feeling bad.  He had tests done such as EKG and stress tests and passed all.  Our family doctor suggested he get off caffeine; he decreased and gradually stopped the caffeine.  Guess what, his rapid heart rate returned to normal and he started to feel better.  I suspect we will hear more about energy drinks and their effect on our health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment