Saturday, February 16, 2013

In the news--link between proton pump inhibitors (PPI) and hip fractures confirmed


Regular use of proton pump inhibitors (stomach ulcer medicine which I took to cure my bleeding ulcer) contributes to an increased risk of hip fractures.  This information comes from the Nurses’ Health study (which I have participated in for many years).  By watching over almost 80,000 nurses since 1982, these researchers recognize that regular doses of  PPI increase the risk of hip fracture by 35-45%.  For women who smoke, their risks increased to 51%.  From these findings, the Food and Drug Association issued an advisory about this risk. 

One of my friends at work asked if I would continue taking my PPI medicine now that my ulcer is healed.  After talking to my doctor, my answer is no.  I am doing well.  All medications have side effects and actions on our bodys.  I’m not increasing my risk of hip fracture by taking a medicine which I no longer need.  More information about this study can be found at

No comments:

Post a Comment